Monday, February 21, 2005

02/21/2005 - Happy President's Day!

You know I often get bogged down with little items about the Market and lose sight of the big picture. Since the beginning of the month, my portfolio has done well. It is all attributed to energy stocks. Exxon and Petrochina have done very well. You may have read the Exxon is now larger than GE in terms of market capitalization. I own two other energy companies that are performing just OK. Enterprise Products and Foundation Coal have done well, but not as good as the oil cos. I am not going to fiddle with this part of my portfolio.

I do have some cash from my sale of NSL and EAD. These funds are interest rate sensitive and took a turn for the worst last week. I was able to dump both funds with a profit plus dividends they paid. It was not a huge killing but not bad for a couple weeks work. I will be on the hunt for new ideas.

Friday's News.....

With respect to the January PPI report, its core component (excludes food and energy), which showed a surprising 0.8% increase versus the consensus estimate that called for a more modest 0.2% increase...

The yield on the benchmark 10-yr note jumped 8 basis points to 4.26% and the yield on the 30-yr bond rose 7 basis points to 4.65%...

No comments: