Sunday, January 08, 2006

"because thats where the money was..."

I was thinking the other day about Willie Sutton, who started robbing banks in the late 1920s. You know who he is. Known for his famous quote about why he robbed banks - "because that's where the money is."

He is also know for another nice quote, "You can't rob a bank on charm and personality."

Now you are asking, how does this relate to speculating? Well, I was kicking the idea around that what I do and what Willie does is kind of the same. Someone asks me, "why did you pick that stock?" The answer - "because it is going up." Hey, if I make money on it, who cares why it is going up. The stock itself may not know why it is going up until later. If you wait to find all the answers you are too late. By that time, the stock will be about ready to roll over and head south.

No comments: