Monday, December 27, 2004

12/27/2004 - Scott Black

Hello, hope you all had a great Christmas for those who celebrate. I am pleased with my gifts. I received a few books that I had on my Amazon Wish List. I will have plenty to read for a couple months.

The Market has been pretty quiet for me. Today I decided to see what Scott Black has been up to. Scott runs Delphi Management out of Boston's Rowes Warf. Some of you may recognized Scott's name from Barron's round table. I read Barron's with a grain of salt. Some of these "superstar" analysts at the round table will make an incorrect prediction and then have the hubris not to even acknowledge their blooper the next time the "table" gathers. Don't get me started on Abbey Joseph Cohen.

I do like Scott Black. He is a Graham Dodd disciple, which is not a bad thing. Bottom line about Scott is that he is no dummy.

I am a little surprised to see that Scott's biggest holding is BERKSHIRE HATHAWAY CL B. Basically Scott has Warren Buffett managing some money. Moving on, Scott's fund sold Coke, before its slide (good move) and bought Pfizer, Pier One, Cypress Semiconductor. All value plays, which is no surprise. Pier One, is one of Berkshire's big holdings too.

The fourth quarter is almost over so we will revisit the 13F filings in January see what moves have been made. I don't advise "piggybacking" Scott. He will hold on to stock for years before it makes its move. I can't afford to tie money up for that long.









No comments: