Wednesday, January 26, 2005

01/26/2005 - Moneyball

I just finished Moneyball last night. I enjoyed the book but I also like the way Michael Lewis writes too. I don't think I would have enjoyed the book as much as I did if Michael Lewis had not written the book. The book shows how to look at baseball through a spreadsheet. A game that was based on personalities, homeruns, and strikeouts is now sliced and diced down to a plethora of different metrics. What is the price of a "homerun hitter?" What would you pay for a "base stealer?" Billy Beane and the Oakland A's know. Now the Red Sox and the Blue Jays are learning. Interesting book. Fast read.

Nothing of GREAT importance has come out today on the news front. I am guessing that retailers will have a weak first qtr because of the bad weather in the Northeast. The bad weather will be what they blame it on, anyway.

OK, I know the market is up today. It was up yesterday too. I just don't feel it. I don't have much confidence in the market right now. Something is not right. I am standing still.










No comments: