Thursday, January 27, 2005

01/27/2005 - Today's Muse

A whole lot of nothing going on... I know, I have been kind of chasing ideas to invest in. It's not working. My last idea was Boeing, although it is a good company I shouldn't have touched it. I just don't see anything out there. I know, I know, invest in something with energy in it. At this point I feel that I am chasing energy. I put money in Foundation Coal (FCL) and Enterprise Products a while back. Those stocks are doing well. Still waiting for FCL to pick up some speed. I just don't have much conviction. We are back in the "old new economy," which equals the "old economy." Guard your money or go broke. The playground is just about empty. Time to go back to class and learn.

- An early surge in oil prices closer to $50/bbl, amid concerns of violence ahead of Sunday's Iraqi elections and uncertainty regarding OPEC's upcoming output decision

- December durable goods rose 0.6%, close to forecasts of +0.7%, November's figure was upwardly revised from 1.4% to 1.8% and orders, excluding transportation, were up 2.1%, indicating continued strength in underlying business investment... Weekly jobless claims coming in a bit lower than expected at 325K, marking the second consecutive week below 330K, has essentially erased concerns caused by the seasonally-influenced surge in initial benefits over the holidays and further reflected a respectable employment situation...

No comments: